Scavenging and turbocharging
Q. How scavenge fire can be avoided? What are the safety devices incorporated in an engine for scavenge f ire.
Ans: Step to avoid scavenge fire:
• Proper maintenance of the fuel injection equipments, piston rings as per maker instruction.
• Not to over load the engine.
• Periodically cleaning and inspection of scavenge trunk.
• Regular draining of scavenge trunk.
• Monitor the under piston scavenge space temperature
Safety devices for scavenge trunk:
• Scavenge trunk relief valve.
• High temperature sensing device with alarm.
• Fixed fire extinguishing system.
• Sight glass on scavenge drain line.
• Non-return valve.