Q. With reference to T/C give reasons for corrosion on the:
a) gas side
b) air side
c) water side.
Ans: Reasons for corrosion on gas side:
• Poor combustion and carryover of oil causes carbon build up in nozzles and blades. It prevents proper heat exchange.
• Oxide of sulphur from combustion may cause acidic corrosion under light load with low exhaust temperature.
• Vanadium & sodium ash from fuel combustion may deposit & causes local burning.
• Deposit of calcium sulphate cylinder L.O. may causes corrosion.
Reasons for corrosion on air side:
• Oil vapour & Dust from engine room may sucked by the compressor & causes corrosion on air side.
• Salty moisture which is present in the air at sea sucked by the compressor & causes corrosion.
Reasons for corrosion on water side:
• Water side may be corroded by electro- chemical if the pH value of water is low i.e. water is acidic.
• If there is inadequate protection against sea water corrosion.
• Improper cleaning schedule or PMS.