MEO Class 4 Written Questions and Answers
1. The lube oil pump used in a diesel engine is a
2. Shaft tunnel requires
b) Escape trunk
c) Water tight door
d) All the above
3. Modern marine turbochargers use a ___________ type of compressor
A. Radial flow
B. Axial flow
C. Mixed flow
D. Turbulent flow
4. Which of these fuel oil impurities can cause maximum abrasive damage?
C. Catalytic fines
5. Labyrinth seal fitted on the back surface of a compressor wheel of a turbocharger:
A. Prevents bearing lube oil contamination
B. Prevents bearing lube oil being sucked into the air stream
C. Helps to keep the shaft cool by controlled leakage of air
D. None of the above
6. Exhaust Grouping is required in case of ______________ turbocharging in order to
A. Constant pressure, prevents shockwave generation
B. Pulse pressure, prevent interference with scavenging of other cylinders
C. Constant pressure, prevent interference with scavenging of other cylinders
D. Pulse pressure, prevents shockwave generation
7. In modern marine 2-stroke diesel engines, ________________ is sometimes used as a
Coating on the underside of the exhaust valve disc, to reduce the rate of hot corrosion.
8. If the boiler tubes are scaled on the water side, then
A. Heat conduction through the tubes will be very high leading to rapid evaporation
B. The boiler furnace can get damaged due to excessive temperatures
C. The surface of the tube will be overheated as heat transfer is impaired
D. The natural circulation of water within the boiler will be more efficient
9. Sudden stop of diesel engine (multiple choices)
A. air in system
B. water in system
C. air filter chocked
D. water in air filter
10. How is the concentration of dissolved oxygen in the feed water of an auxiliary boiler maintained at acceptable limits?
A. Feed water is cycled through a DC heater.
B. Feed water is treated with phosphates.
C. Oxygen is liberated in the three-stages of feed water preheating.
D. Oxygen is liberated by maintaining the highest practical feed water temperature